Schedule an appointment now
Jacobs School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
955 Main St.
Buffalo, NY 14203
My clinical practice has recently changed from traditional arthroscopic and sports related orthopedic surgery to focus full time on education and research. The time gained from no longer going to the operating room will be used to expand my roles as a teacher and a clinical researcher.
My philosophy and goals of the arthroscopy teaching lab are:
- Provide for instruction of the basics of arthroscopy, including the physics, optics, and electronics of the equipment used in the operating room.
- Teach all relevant superficial and arthroscopic anatomy of the major joints of the body.
- Demonstrate and practice the navigational skills of arthroscopy, such as orientation, localization, triangulation and quadrangulation.
- Demonstrate and practice diagnostic arthroscopy of all of the major joints.
- Instruct and proctor performance of the basic and advanced arthroscopic procedures.
- Encourage research into existing and emerging arthroscopic technologies and procedures.
- Provide subjective and objective feedback on the acquisition of arthroscopic skill as it pertains to career guidance.
- Introduce and instruct using virtual reality and evaluate a process of credentialing doctors based on simulator testing for competence.
Colgate University, B.A. Chemistry, 1980
State University of New York, Health Science Center at Syracuse, M.D., 1984
University at Buffalo, M.A. Anatomical Sciences, 1986
Orthopaedic Basic Science Fellowship
University at Buffalo, 1986
Orthopaedic Surgery Residency
University at Buffalo, 1990
Sports Medicine and Shoulder Fellowship
The Hospital for Special Surgery
Cornell University Hospital Medical Center, New York New York, 1991
Medical Director, Buffalo Bills, 1995-2015
Medical Director, Buffalo Sabres, 1995-2003
Erie County Medical Society
New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
New York State Medical Society
February 2020 – UBMD Ortho News: UBMDOSM Residents Participate in Surgical Skills Study
August 2019 – UBMD Ortho News: Dr. John M. Marzo to Transition into Education & Research
May 2018 – Buffalo Business First: UB medical school program takes unique approach to anatomy
April 2018 – University at Buffalo: New medical simulation center offers fresh perspectives on the human body
March 2018 – University at Buffalo: AMA chief tours new Jacobs School building
March 2018 – The American Journal of Sports Medicine: Chondral lesions can hinder recovery from partial meniscectomy
February 2018 – The Buffalo News: Former Bills team doctor shifts focus to family, new UB medical school
February 2018 – University at Buffalo: Weight Not a Factor in Outcome of Arthroscopic Partial Meniscectomy
January 2018 – UBMD Ortho News: New Study Shows Effects of BMI on Knee Meniscus Surgery
July 2017 – University at Buffalo: Orthopaedics Chair and Former Trainees Honored for Best Paper
July 2017 – University at Buffalo: Knee surgery: Have we been doing it wrong?
April 2017 – UBMD Ortho News: UBMD Ortho Physicians Accepting Patients Downtown at Conventus in May
June 2016 – Caresteam Health: Clinical Study of Patella Instability with CBCT Technology