Eugene R. Mindell, M.D., Department of Orthopaedics Chairman from 1964 – 1988, has published “The History of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University at Buffalo” which details the history of the Department of Orthopaedics at the University at Buffalo School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences from its inception in 1846.
“The department has, over the years, spanned most of the medical institutions in Buffalo, including the former Buffalo General Hospital, Millard Fillmore Hospital, and the Children’s Hospital of Buffalo (now collectively Kaleida Health); the E.J. Meyer Memorial Hospital (now the Erie County Medical Center); the Roswell Park Memorial Institute (now the Roswell Park Cancer Institute); and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center. The volunteer faculty, an essential part of any clinical department, was also at Mercy Hospital.”
“Although the names – and in some instances, the configurations of these institutions – have changed, and may change again, the strong orthopaedic tradition in this community will live on, in large measure a credit to those who have come before, and to those who have received their training here and have gone elsewhere. This book will be of particular interest and importance to the trainees of this program, both now and in the future. It is always important, and in many instances reassuring, to know whence one has come.”
John R. Wright, M.D.
Dean of the School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, in his forward to Dr. Mindell’s book
The History of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University at Buffalo may be purchased for $25.00
Please send a check payable to the University at Buffalo Foundation to:
UBMD Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine
4225 Genesee Street
Cheektowaga, NY 14225
Dr. Mindell is donating all proceeds from the sale of this book
to the University at Buffalo School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences
Download Dr. Mindell’s “Evolution of UB Orthopaedics” lecture